Prefer pastures over pavements? A Rural Development (RD) loan is ideal for buyers who want to buy homes in rural areas—with no down payment. While RD loans often fall under the radar and are underutilized by big banks, we see their great value for buyers and lead in the Rural Development lending process. To qualify for an RD loan, buyers and properties must meet the MSHDA (Michigan State Housing Development Authority) qualifications on the sale price, income limit, first-time homebuyer eligibility guidelines, and location requirements.
Backed and guaranteed by the United States Department of Agriculture, the RD loan allows a person to borrow up to 102% of the appraised value and it’s the only zero down option available to buyers who haven’t served in the military. RD loans can include closing costs, prepaid/escrow items, and the RD guarantee fee. Better yet, RD loan applicants can sometimes receive almost all their earnest money back after closing.
- Includes a 30 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage
- 0% Down Payment
- The property must be in an eligible location
- Must be a single family, owner-occupied home
- Not limited to first-time buyers
- Rates are similar to those on conventional loans
- Seller contribution allowed up to 6% (of purchase price)
- Maximum income is 115% of the median income in your residential area
- Maximum loan amount cannot include repairs and or improvements to the property.