With the extra time on our hands, now can be a great time to execute on some of those home projects we haven’t been able to get to. These 8 easy and affordable value-adding projects are the perfect way to give your home the refresh it deserves!
- Paint: A fresh coat of paint can go a long way to make your space feel anew. A neutral, bright color scheme throughout your home not only makes things more cohesive and welcoming, but it will also make your space feel bigger. It is an easy and affordable project that can be done in a weekend!
- Add a Kitchen Backsplash: If you are looking for a way to update your kitchen or add some color, a fun backsplash is a great way to update a dated, lackluster kitchen without breaking the bank. Thankfully there are many easy-to-install options out there including “peel-and-stick” tiles that make this project DIY-friendly.
- Update fixtures & hardware: By updating your current fixtures and hardware throughout your home, you can upgrade the overall aesthetic of your space. Doorknobs, curtain rods, lighting fixtures, outlet covers, facets, and even towel bars—switching out these dated pieces for new fixtures can change the feel of your space. Try to keep them all consistent so there is a cohesive theme throughout your home, and make sure the style you choose matches the style of your home—overly modern fixtures in a traditional styled home, for example, may seem out of place.
- Upgrade your lighting: While you’re updating fixtures, something to think about are the bulbs throughout your home. By installing LED bulbs, you can lengthen the life of your bulbs and make your home more energy efficient (value!). To keep the lighting scheme consistent throughout your home, purchase all your bulbs from the same brand because tones, warmth, and brightness often vary between brands.
- Paint or Stain kitchen and bathroom cabinets: Refreshing your cabinets with a new stain or paint can help keep kitchens and bathrooms current. With new hinges, fixtures, and a fresh coat of paint, your kitchen or bathroom can get a face lift without paying an arm and a leg. Be sure to clean the cabinets thoroughly prior to painting or staining for the best outcome!
Could your home use a curb appeal pick-me-up? These three DIY projects are easy and affordable ways to add value to your home and create a welcoming first impression.
- New landscaping: Spend a weekend or two updating the landscaping around your home. If you’re not much of a green thumb, this can feel daunting. But all it takes is a plan and a little bit of research! Shrubs and colorful plants add appeal and therefore, value to your home. Choose plants that will come back every year, are drought-tolerant, and native to your region to limit maintenance.
- A new front door: A new front door can make a world of a difference to set your home apart from others, and it can add value. Natural wood grains, metal frames, and moody colors are in. Contrast is key, so don’t be afraid to try something bright and bold! If you can’t afford a new door, try painting it and updating the door handle to give it some new life.
- Install new House Numbers: A new set of addresses numbers to accompany your upgraded front door will give your home an inviting and warm welcome for guests! While its small change, updated house numbers can make a big difference in creating a cohesive curb appeal.
These 8 easy and affordable value-adding projects are the perfect way to give your home the refresh it deserves!