Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is here again, and deciding how to spend the day can be difficult. Do you stick to flowers and chocolates, go to your favorite restaurant, or try something new? The day is about making a conscious effort to show your valentine you love them—and what better way to do that than spending quality time together?! Luckily, Grand Rapids has plenty to offer in terms of Valentine’s Day activities and special events that will encourage you to spend some uninterrupted quality time with your loved one. Whether your valentine is a romantic partner, a friend, a family member (or yourself) this list has a little something for everyone to celebrate the love-filled Hallmark holiday!
- Blandford Nature Center: Take a hike through the snowy woods down a candlelit path at Blandford Nature Center on February 13th. This event is from 6-7:30pm and costs $25 for non-members and $20 for members. Following your hike through the woods, there will be chocolate and refreshments around the fire for you to enjoy. The trail is for all levels and can be done at your own pace, so all are welcome. This unique, romantic get-away is a great way to appreciate the natural beauty of West Michigan with your loved one!
- Rosa Parks Circle-Love on Ice & Valent-ICE: If you’re hoping to stay in the downtown area, Rosa Parks Circle has plenty of Valentine’s Day themed events! On February 14th from 6-10pm they are offering two-for-one ice skating and free professional photographs in front of the interactive ice installation which is part of the Valent-ICE event. Beginning Friday, February 14th until Friday, February 21st, there will be over 50 ice sculptures displayed throughout downtown. Feel free to check these out by yourself or join one of the free walking tours offered over the weekend. The tours start at Rosa Parks Circle.
- Honey Bales Bakery-A Valentine’s Cookie Pop-Up Shop: If your preferred way of celebrating Valentine’s Day is by indulging in your favorite sweet treats, be sure to check out the Honey Bales Bakery Cookie Pop-Up Shop in East Town. On February 13th, the Honey Bales Bakery will be setting up shop at 619 Wealthy St SE to share their beautifully decorated and delicious cookies! The pop-up shop will be open on Thursday from 5-9pm, Friday from 10am-8pm, and Saturday from 10am-6pm and will be selling an array of delectable baked goods. They also are offering cookie decorating classes. On Friday from 6-8:30pm, there is a special Galentine’s Day cookie decorating class for $28. The class is BYOB, so feel free to bring your favorite bottle of wine and a gal-pal for a fun night. From 1-4pm on Saturday, the bakery is hosting their Cookie Decorating 101 class for $35.
- Grand Rapids Symphony-Schubert’s “Great”: If you and your valentine are music connoisseurs, the Grand Rapids Symphony will be performing Schubert’s “Great” on Friday, February 14th and Saturday, February 15th at DeVos Performance Hall at 8pm.
- Sur la Table: Valentine’s Day Macarons making/decorating class: Sur la Table is hosting a Macaron making and decorating class on Valentine’s Day from 12-3pm. For $69, the class will walk you through making an almond macaron with raspberry lemon buttercream and a gold-dusted vanilla bean macaron with white chocolate ganache. After you finish with the decadence, you get to take some home!
- Long Road Distillers-Valentine’s Cocktails, Chocolate, and Spirit Tasting with Mokaya: Long Road Distillers is having a valentine’s cocktail, chocolate, and spirit tasting on February 14th from 5:30-6:30pm, 7-8pm, 8:30-9:30pm, or 10-11pm. They will feature four unique Mokaya chocolates paired with spirits and a sample cocktail. The event is $35 per person or $50 per couple.
- If you are looking for a more traditional Valentine’s Day date-night, there are several romantic restaurants offering Valentine’s Day specials.
Divani: Head to Divani on February 14th for a specially curated Valentine’s Day menu. For $58 per guest, the menu includes your choice of appetizer, entree, and dessert.
MeXo: From 5-10pm on Valentine’s Day, MeXo is offering a four-course couple’s dinner. For $55 per ticket, the dinner includes a complimentary champagne toast, an appetizer, choice of soup or salad, entrée, and a shared dessert.
Reserve: The Valentine’s Special at Reserve features a four-course chef’s tasting menu from Thursday, February 13th through Saturday, February 15th. The cost is $70 plus tax and gratuity, and it is sure not to disappoint.
Other equally delicious and romantic restaurants in Grand Rapids to dine at:
- Bistro Bella Vita
- Leo’s Seafood Restaurant & Bar
- If craft cocktails are more your scene or you want to end your Valentine’s Day date night with a night cap, check out:
- Buffalo Traders Lounge
- Lumber Baron Bar
- New Hotel Mertens
See more blog posts:
Written by Aislinn Teachout