Like just about everything else in 2020, Halloween is going to be a little different this year. But that doesn’t mean you can’t sport your spookiest or funniest costumes—even with a mask! In many ways, a mask can make your costume easier by taking the fancy makeup out of the equation. Try to pick a costume or a character that fits seamlessly with an on-theme face mask and be sure not to use a costume mask in place of a cloth face mask. According to the CDC, it’s important to use a “cloth mask that is made of two or more layers of breathable fabric that covers your mouth and nose and doesn’t leave gaps around your face.”
With Halloween right around the corner, we put together a list of costumes that are easy to accomplish and perfectly compliment a face mask! Here are our top picks:
- Doctor or Nurse: Pay tribute to frontline heroes this Halloween by dressing up as an essential healthcare worker. All you need is scrubs, a surgical mask, and the optional white coat!
- Ninja/Mummy/Ghost: To compliment your ghost, ninja, or mummy costume, you can simply wear a plain black or white face mask. If you want to go all-in for the mummy theme, check out this mask.
- Calavera/Skeleton: For a fun and colorful spin on a skeleton costume, add one of these face masks. The best part? A mask allows you to skip the fancy makeup and face paint! Here is another option.
- Mermaid: Pair a mermaid or sequined mask with a mermaid tale or iridescent leggings and pearl jewelry for a perfectly themed under-the-sea costume.
- Cat: To achieve the simple and timeless cat costume, find a cute mask with whiskers and a kitten nose to compliment your kitten ears, and you’re good to go!
- Vampire: For a fresh (and safe) take on this Halloween classic, find a mask with vampire teeth and pair it with a black cape. The best part is you don’t have to try and wear those annoying fake teeth—they’re built right into the mask!
- Disney Character: Be your favorite animated Disney character with a character themed face mask like this one here!
- Scarecrow: Put on your favorite flannel shirt, denim, a straw hat, and a scarecrow inspired mask to complete your scarecrow costume.
- Jack-O-lantern: This Halloween staple just got even easier! Pair an orange bodysuit or an orange shirt with a pumpkin mask to sell this look.
Regardless what you choose to dress up as this Halloween, try to pair your costume with a mask for extra fun! Can’t find one that you love? Decorate one as a Halloween activity!
Covid doesn’t mean you can’t sport your spookiest or funniest costumes—even with a mask!