I was watching TV the other night and thinking about how inconvenient it was that I had to plan my entire night around a 30 minute show I wanted to watch. While waiting for my show to begin, I got bored and turned on Netflix. Once in Netflix, I was able to choose any show I wanted to watch at the touch of a finger. Netflix has cornered the market on putting their clients in control of their own user experience.
This convenience really made me think about the “customer experience” in 2014, and how so many companies are still operating like it’s 1995. The current smart phone and media environment gives the power to the users, and for the most part users like to harness the power into convenience.
The fact is, its 2014 and things are evolving every day. Companies need to contemplate whether they are producing and providing products and services that fit their customers wants and needs.
Which brings me to my area of focus, the real estate transaction and mortgage processes. These two entities have basically been operating in the same way for decades. We at Treadstone recognized a couple years ago that it was time to make our process more “on demand” and consumer centric. Here are some of the things we have done to make the process easier.
1. not 9-5: Almost all banks are 9-5. We hire people who want to succeed, who understand that 9-5 isn’t the most convenient for everyone.If you want to chat before work, at lunch, in the evening or even on the weekends we can help.
2. Added Staff: Lets face it people want speed. In a process as in depth as a mortgage the only way to do something faster is with more people. We continually add the right people to our team so that nobody is too overloaded, and so someone is always here to answer your call.
3. Online, in Person, or over the phone: Our customers are different and they like to communicate and work in different ways. We have an online mortgage application for people who prefer the web, we can take your app over the phone, or we can do it in person and go through everything line by line.
4. Speed: Whether you need a fast pre-approval, or your situation necessitates that you close your loan in a short amount of time, our team is designed to help. We have closed loans in less than 12 days depending on the situation and are continually evolving our processes to work for our clients.
5. We Play Nice: One of the most frustrating things is when one of your service providers won’t play nice with another. As a local community business we are out there meeting and collaborating with industry colleagues to ensure that when we team up on your deal there are no miscommunications. We work with the best appraisers, Realtors, inspectors, contractors and other professionals.
6. Choices: In the same way that you go to Netflix to choose what kind of show you want to watch, we have a variety of mortgages to choose from based on your particular situation. We will look at your finances with you and show you which loans you may qualify for and which will help you accomplish your home financing goals best.
If you are a real estate professional or small business owner how can you make your services more “netflix” or “on demand”…?
If you liked this article check out: The Ultimate Guide to Facebook Marketing: Real Estate Edition
about the author:
Matt Muscat is a real estate marketing expert, professor and public speaker based in Grand Rapids, MI. He has spoken at numerous real estate conferences on topics including SEO, digital marketing, real estate lead management and many others. Through his work at Treadstone Funding, Matt provides local area Realtors with free marketing advice, tips and training.