Alexa skills can make a homeowner’s daily tasks a lot easier. Whether it is an activity, a productivity tool or a podcast that will expand your horizons, these skills can provide you and your family with function, fun and sometimes a good laugh.
Here are some top Alexa Skills that can help to increase your productivity at home:
First and foremost, make sure to connect your Alexa to any smart device you have. Typical devices include:
- Your cell phones
- A digital thermostat
- Home cameras
- Sound system (such as Sonos)
- Smart TV
- Smart appliances
- Your Google calendar
- Create a personalized routine- Adhering to a routine allows us to adapt better habits. There are many Alexa skills that can foster these habits to stay on schedule during the day! With one command, such as “Alexa, good morning!” you can have your AM routine set. Alexa can be your alarm, turn your lights on and start coffee with the smart home routine. Alexa could even update you on the news in the morning, help you with your wardrobe for the day if ask “Alexa what is the weather like today?”, or even play your favorite morning jams to set a positive tone for the morning.
- Manage your shopping list- If you’ve ever been deep cleaning the kitchen and discovered you’re out of paper towels, or started laundry to find your out of detergent, you can appreciate the convenience of a hands-free shopping list! This is truly a great life hack for everyone. Just say “Alexa, create a list!” and she will then prompt you to name it and add items such as “add apples to my shopping list!” When it is finally time to hit the store, ask Alexa “Show me my shopping list” and it will appear on your screen!
Side tip: You can also print your Alexa Shopping List from the Alexa app on your computer’s web browser!
- Find your phone – We’ve all been there. In a hurry, searching the house for your phone and you are already late. It is so easy to misplace while doing daily chores. With Alexa’s Where’s My Phone skill, she can find it for you in a flash!
- Make cooking easier- For recipes and food recommendations, try the Best Recipes skill. You can find recipes for any time of the day and for any type of diet. To get started, say, “Alexa, tell Best Recipes I’m hungry!” or even ask what is for dinner!
- And of course, having a little fun and having good balance in life can improve your mental health and your overall productivity skills. Alexa can be your personal DJ, keep you updated on your favorite sports teams, teach you different cocktail recipes (try the Mr. Bartender skill and ask questions such as “ Alexa, ask mister bartender how to make a negroni!”) and one of our favorite skills- you can can order Domino’s or Pizza Hut (which ever you prefer) right to your door with your Alexa!
Side (and very important) tip for pizza ordering: you will need to download your preferred pizza store’s app before you can use this skill!
Alexa has a huge range of capabilities, but the real magic happens when you put these tips to use!
Other related blogs for homeowners: