Grand Rapids, the #1 U.S. travel destination in 2014, Beer City USA, and home of the Griffins & Drive, this city is truly the place to be during any season. But as our days continue to get shorter and the weather begins to get colder, our winter blues begin to kick in. It starts getting harder to step outside and enjoy the fresh white snow that trickles down from the sky. Luckily for us, Grand Rapids has many indoor and outdoor activities for the entire family.
After hours of research on the first cold week in November here are some of our top picks for things to do in Grand Rapids this winter.
- Go Ice Skating at Rosa Parks Circle – If you’re in the mood to get outside and enjoy the snow, grab your jacket and enjoy ice skating in the heart of the city at Rosa Parks Circle. The rink will be reopening for the 2016-2017 winter season on Friday, December 2nd. Just $1.00 for children, and $2.00 for adults, open skate is the perfect way to enjoy downtown Grand Rapids for an outdoor adventure with friends, a date night, or a fun night with the family. Dining Nearby: To warm up before or after your skate head to the new Atwater Brewing Co only 1 block away. It is family friendly but has some good hearty beers for mom and dad.
- Drive Through The 5/3 Ball Park Christmas Light Show – Sit back, relax, and enjoy the snow at West Michigan’s largest, animated drive through light show. Nearly 2 miles of millions of lights including animated displays, lighted tunnels, and more! Enjoy the wonderful light show starting Wednesday November 23, 2016 through January 1, 2017. Dining Nearby: Vitales of Comstock Park is an easy place to grab a drink and some pizza- perfect for wintery nights.
- Attend a Grand Rapids Griffins or Grand Rapids Drive Sporting Event – Put your game face on and root for the Grand Rapids Griffins hockey team as they mark their 21st The Grand Rapids Griffins will host 38 home games at the Van Andel Arena this season. The Grand Rapids Drive basketball team, going on their third season will play 24 home games at the DeltaPlex. With friends and family ticket packages, a hockey and basketball game is the perfect activity for anyone on a Friday or Saturday night. Dining Nearby: After a Griffins game check out Wheelhouse and make sure to try their out of the shell mussels. After a Drive game check out Graydon’s Crossing 1.5 miles away to try some of their Indian & British fusion food.
- Visit the Downtown Market – Explore the winter wonderland at the Downtown Market. There are a number of exciting events happening in the next few months. Explore winter in Northern Italy, Thailand, and Spain, in Hands-on classes that will teach you how to make delicious meals and treats. Join Santa’s elves in his downtown cookie-making shop to make a batch of cookies to share with friends and family. Kick that new year’s resolution into gear and learn how to live that healthy lifestyle in a Hands-on class that will teach you how to make healthy and creative meals for you and the family. Dining Nearby: The market is full of awesome vendors who serve food and drinks onsite. Check out Carver‘s for an amazing burger or chicken sandwich guaranteed to knock your socks off- or bounce down to Apertivo for some wine and cheese.
- Attend the 12th Annual Winter Beer Festival – Beer City USA brings the 12th Annual Winter Beer Festival. If you love Michigan craft beer, then this is the festival to catch this winter! Fifth Third Ball Park Hosts this special event on February 24 and 25th which features more than 100 Michigan Breweries. The perfect festival to get out and try some new microbrews and support local Michigan businesses. Dining Nearby: If you are in the mood for even more beer check out the new Elk Brewing in Comstock Park or head down to the old classic Perrin Brewing Co.
Unwrap the season with some exciting opportunities this year! Push away those winter blues and experience Grand Rapids with the entire family. With both outdoor and indoor activities to choose from, this winter will be full adventures and fun!